January 18, 2012

Banana Bread

Going to work yesterday was a fail.
I felt like poo, and I probably should have listened to my fiance and stayed home.
Well, now I know.

But since I felt so crappy I needed something to melt that feeling away.
And I had stolen some old bananas from my fiance's mother the other day.
So I made some very delicious banana bread.
... apparently so delicious that only about a third to the loaf still remains the next morning.

Banana Bread
Ingredients:


1/4 cup of sugar (I used Splenda artificial sweetener)
2 Tbsp. of butter, softened (I used light bonnebell)
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
4 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter and sugar, and beat with a mixer at medium speed, about 3 minutes or until well combined. Add the egg, vanilla, and applesauce, and beat another 2 minutes. Fold in the mashed bananas.
3. Lightly spoon the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the two flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a separate large bowl.
4. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition until moistened.
5. Coat one loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
6. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean.
7. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the bread and cool slightly on a wire rack.
What comes next is the most important step
8. Wrap the still warm loaf in aluminum foil and let it finish cooling in there. This has been my mom's trick for years and it makes the bread OH-SO-MOIST and AMAZING!
(I apologize the picture is sideways but I haven't figured out how to turn it :( )
This loaf serves 10 and is about 110 calories a slice. Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment